September 22, 2013

Hongkong - Day 1 continued

Still the first day. Down from The Peak I strolled through Central district and decided to go for the second notoriously famous Hongkong activity: the Star Ferry ride. Thankfully I followed the directions..


On the way to Central piers one comes across the huge Apple store in the IFC mall. I also went inside this and other stores in the mall, to cool down from walking, it's air-conditioned to about 18 degrees :-)


There it is, the Central Pier building, another lovingly kept colonial building. It simply looks cute in front of all these skyscrapers.


And there is a ferry boat in traditional green-white. Upper deck is an air-conditioned closed cabin, too, but I went for the lower deck and the fresh sea air...besides the fumes from the colonial diesel engine..


It was fun and easy to cross Victoria Harbour this way. And even cheaper than the modern MTR train which runs underneath the harbour.



Some nice views as well from the water..




Arrived at the TST-side of the harbour I stood at the place I see from my apartment window. It's called Avenue of Stars and is the Hongkong version of the Hollywood Walk of Fame, naturally including stars for Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan. Besides the Peak this is probably the most touristic spot of Hongkong, most cameras per square meter.



Some boats..



..and then I was on a Star Ferry boat myself again, this time crossing from TST to Wan Chai, which is close to Causeway Bay where I'm staying. 
Then I walked home from there with a feeling that I have fully attended to my touristic duties..