September 25, 2013

Hongkong - Day 5

Today after school I took the old tram, found a place on the upper deck and travelled at about walking speed through the noon traffic on Hennessy Rd. to Admiralty district. The idea was to relax in Hong Kong Park. 
On the way I came across some sculptures in front of the Conrad building. It is named "Hongkong People". Here are a couple of them:
I call this the business man, there is a lot of them here...


..here are the tourists, of course...


...and this one is the T'ai Chi practitioner...or something similar ;-)


Then to Hong Kong Park is a neatly kept green area between several skyscrapers and the hills. It was the place of the former British barracks and has a couple of old buildings like the Flagstaff House. The Flagstaff house is a tea museum now, which I wanted to visit today.


But first I had to have some lunch and there was a very nice restaurant with a shadowy open air terrace. So I went in and ordered a Japanese lunch set including Miso soup and Sashimi of several fishes like Tuna, Salmon, Squi and some other things. It was the perfect meal for such a summer day.


In the park I saw some strange table for a board game unknown to me.


Also there are some lakes housing carps...


..and turtles.




There is a vantage tower, so I climbed the 105 steps in terrible heat just to take one picture :-)



Then to the museum where I learned much about tea and tea ware. 


Afterwards there was even an opportunity to attend a teat tasting lesson in the restaurant. A teacher explained the six major teas and we had several tasting cups, carefully prepared by the teacher. After so much tea culture it's going to be hard to ever touch a teabag again :-)